Saturday, February 2, 2008

February 2nd. Departure Day




I am ready now, but what a roller coaster the last few days have been.  If you recall from my last posting on Monday (five days ago), I was going to have a haircut, well… while preparing an avocado for lunch I stabbed my left hand instead of the avocado pit.  The wound was narrow but deep and my husband rushed me to the Emergency Room.

“When did you say you are going to India?”  Dr. Goldberg asked while examining my hand.

“On Saturday,” I sobbed.

“In that case I’ll give you an absorbable stitch.”

He promised it wouldn’t hurt. And it didn’t.   After numbing it, Dr. Goldberg stitched my hand and I didn’t feel a thing.  I was given a tetanus shot and was sent home with antibiotics and painkillers.  Then both Robert (my youngest) and I got the flu, and I spent a few days shivering and aching so much, that I began to wonder how on earth I would be able to fly on Saturday.  And of course I never did get around to having that haircut on Monday. 

But by Thursday I started to feel better and was able to do a radio interview about the book I am writing and the upcoming journey.

Yesterday I went to Manhattan to buy the Rupees that my husband had reserved for me at the American Express Office on Park Avenue.  And a good thing that he had reserved them!

“They’ve been selling like hot cakes,” the girl at the counter told me.

“Really? Why?”  I asked.

“I think its because a lot of businesses are moving to India,” she said.

“I see.  By the way, what is the exchange rate?”  I asked.

“Thirty-six Rupees to the Dollar.”
“What!?  It was forty-four to the dollar less than two years ago.”
“It was forty-four last year too,” she said.

I also got some travel checks, and by the time I had finished signing them and went back to thank her before leaving, the girl who had been helping me was sitting at her computer looking at my blog, with two of her colleagues leaning over her shoulders.  Wow!

 

After lunch (no point skimping on meals while I am here), I went back to the hospital for a check up.  The doctor was happy with my hand and wished me a safe trip.  Finally I was able to go to the hairdresser.  My hair is pretty short now, but it is more practical this way.

 

 

There have been many heartwarming moments this week, being sick with Robert was one of them.  We shivered together, lay in bed together,  and were lovingly nursed by my husband who could not do enough for us, and who would not let me do anything in case I hurt my hand again.  Thank goodness that I had already cooked and frozen a good supply of meals for them to have while I am away.

Then Robin, my office manager, gave me the most beautiful, organic, hand made journal you’ve ever seen.

“I wanted to give you something that represented who you are,” she said.   “And whenever you take it out, you’ll think of me,” she added.  I was deeply touched.

And Barbara, also from the office, gave me a neck pillow in the shape of a pair of lips.

“Think of me blowing you a kiss,” she joked.

Then the collapsible bucket arrived.  It looks like a heavy-duty plastic bag.   The main purpose of a collapsible bucket is for washing clothes, but my children keep saying that I should carry it in my backpack on the bus with me because…

“You might need it, you know… Delhi Belly… you never know,” they are amused by the whole thing.

My friend Karen sent me a money belt from England, insect bite relief ointment and chapstick, how sweet is that?  My friend Paolo sent me a check, “I want to give you something for the trip,” he said.

I’ve enjoyed receiving good wish emails from friends and family around the world.  Nova confirmed that she has booked a room in Calcutta for March nineteenth for five nights, then added  “ Promise that somehow you’ll get word to us if you are sick, or if halfway through the tour you don’t feel you can finish and we’ll get you out.”

Does one call her a friend or a Guardian Angel?

And finally, Andrew surprised me by walking into the family room last night.  Hugh told me that he was going out to check the tires; instead he went to collect Andrew from the station.  I was so happy to see him and we hugged for a long time.  Florentina was the last to come in and she brought me her yoga mat to use with the thermarest mattress.

Soon it will be time to go.  Hugh and the children are driving Bruno and me to the airport.  When I come back, it will be Spring! 

I am still here though, sitting up in my comfortable bed, writing.  How I love my bed!  I have never slept on a floor; I have never shared a bathroom with anyone other than family and close friends.  And for the next seven weeks I will sleep on the floor and share whatever facilities there are with my fellow pilgrims.

I feel sad to be leaving and excited about going.   Why am I going?  Because my soul is urging me to.

 

I will write again from India whenever I find an Internet connection, and if I can work out how, I will post pictures.  Otherwise I will post them when I get back.

 

It is time to go now.

Om Namah Sivaya,

Esmeralda

1 comment:

Nushkin said...

Excitement must be huge over there!!! Have a wonderful journey and also Journey ... looking forward to reading all about it.

Love
Nushkin