Saturday, January 5, 2008

Up and Running

Hello there!

     I am going to be fifty this year and as some of you know, I am writing a book called: WIFE, MOTHER & SEEKER. 

     I have done a lot in the wife and mother departments and now I am off to India to work on the seeker’s side of things.  I will leave soon, I don’t know the exact date yet, but it will be sometime in February.

    I cannot tell you now how all this has come about.  You’ll have to read my book for that.

    But I would like to share with you my excitement, apprehensions, hopes, joys and fears as I prepare for this journey.  And when departure day comes, I will temporarily leave my husband, three children and Zoe the cat behind.  I pray that when I return, both the cat and I will have shed a few pounds and for myself I also hope that I…well... we'll see. 

    Anyway, by the time D-Day arrives, I will have to have put together a few items; some of them more run of the mill traveling variety, while others are more eclectic.

    I have put together a wish list and would be grateful for anything that anyone may wish to contribute.  But before I even begin, I must pause here to thank the person who is making this journey financially possible.   Her name is Nova Alexander and her company IHML is providing me with a ticket to India and back to New York -  as well as covering the cost of six to eight weeks by bus, from the Malabar Coast on the southernmost tip of India where I land, to New Delhi in the North and finally on to Calcutta in the East on the Bay of Bengal.  And because she does not do things by half, (SHE IS NOT CHEAP, she wears Missoni, Chanel, Armani… you get the picture) she is also setting me up with a cell phone in India and malaria tablets. 

 

Thank you Nova!!!  SuperNova!!!

 

So, here is the list (subject to change):

 

Air tickets for my husband and three children to join me in Calcutta at the end of the tour, sorry Zoë but you can’t come.  Virgin Airways, my older son explained it to my younger son like this: “You see Robert, for Richard Branson to fly us to Calcutta it would be like me buying you a gumball.  Or for a stranger in the street.” 

 

Digital camera and memory card

Therm-a-rest inflatable mattress

Mosquito net

A literary agent who will find a publisher for my book

Collapsible bucket

A set of spiral notebooks

Oh, I love the pens that Virgin gives out on their flights and since I will not bring my laptop with me, I would like a few of those pens to write with.

A bedroll sack – It will be strapped on the bus’s roof top together with the luggage

A good backpack to carry some of the items on this list

An asana - something to sit on outdoors

Dust mask - for road travel 

Earplugs - to block out others’ snoring when sharing a floor with fellow travelers

Flashlight - to avoid tripping over them on my way to the bathroom Mosquito repellent – self-explanatory

Eye mask I have already

And to start with I have three white Panjaby sets to wear

Oh yes, an inflatable neck pillow would be really nice and of course a map of India…..

 

Ah, Delhi Belly – any suggestions as to the best product to help in case I get it? Or shall I look at it as a way of getting rid of those pounds I mentioned earlier? 

 

Baci e Abbracci

Esmeralda

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

The blog looks fabulous! I can't wait to read more about this exciting journey you are starting.

Anonymous said...

Best of luck. I am looking forward to reading the book! Only thing, watch out for poisonous thorns in India.

Anonymous said...

best to you esmeralda.....I once heard it said by a now extinct African pigmy tribe, whose wisdom was translated before disappearence....that there are two hungers in the world...the one hunger is the hunger of the stomach and that is the small hunger....the other hunger is the hunger for meaning and that is big hunger......go for it...love fred

Anonymous said...

It's really a beautiful site Esmeralda!
>We should get together as soon as you feel up to
> it after your surgery.
> Want you to see a few things I have--may be able to
> help with the flashlight and was thinking to buy a
> new
> thermarest myself so maybe
> you'd like my 2 year old one (only used for 10 days
> on
> one tour). You'd want to try it first. It's a
> short.
> So enjoyed meeting Nova and the lovely lunch.
> Thank you.
>
> Much love,
> nancy
>
> p.s. lomotil will stop the runs so is good to take
> for bus rides.

Anonymous said...

ohh i'm so happy that you get to go back to india..
i have an inflatable neck pillow that i bought in india that i'd be glad
to give you if you haven't gotten one yet (i'll just have to find it :)) ..
take care mata - Looove you
Jamie

Anonymous said...

Hi Esmeralda,
I have a wonderful big back-pack that Zoe went all around Europe with when she
graduated from college. It can hold an enormous amount and even a bed roll I
believe. I just have to make sure I have it upstairs since we leant it to D's
niece for a similar trip a couple of years ago. I will check and let you know -
you would be welcome to borrow it for as long as you need on this exciting
journey you are embarking on. I am interested in knowing more about your friend
Nova - what is her company and how can she support you this way? How lovely to
have a friend with such resources. By the way, I did tell you that Zoe (my
daughter, not your cat!) is having twin girls in May? I'll talk to you soon,
Mary

Mary Denham
Associate Broker
Houlihan Lawrence Inc.
113 Main Street
Irvington, New York 10533
914-591-2700 ext.324

mark said...

Well my dear, when we first met, you said to me after your initial meeting with Amma, “Is it possible that She spoke to me in the dialect I speak from my little town is Sicily?” Who knew that just a few years later you would be abandoning your faithful husband and loving children, leaving them alone without so much as a year’s supply of TV dinners or breast milk to wander with the monks, saints and homeless down the sacred streets of India? Will your family even remember you when you return? IF you return. Will they miss you? Text message you?

As you know, you will no longer be in Kansas. Make sure to get some comfortable insoles for your ruby slippers. The unpaved roads can be tough on the feet.

It is an absolutely wonderful and insane thing you are about to do. I wish you all the best on your journey. I will be with you, at least in spirit, every step of the way. Well not EVERY step, but many of them.
An enormous cyberspace hug and kiss has just been sent to you. It is the journey of a lifetime.
Brava.

Anonymous said...

Good Luck! Very impressive....can't wait until your book is published. Susan

Anonymous said...

Please advise when the book is available on Amazon, good luck.
Adrian from the UK